2015 - present - Miss J Lynam
Further information to follow - page under development (10/08/2016)
2000-2015 - Mr S Young
Mr Young joined CHS in August 1997 as Depute Rector. With the departure of Mr O'Brien in December 1999, he was promoted to lead the school through many changes. These changes included two of the biggest challenges a school could face: amalgamation and change of premises.
The amalgamation of Braidfield High School with CHS took the school roll to almost 1,500 pupils. The construction of a new Clydebank High has resulted in a modern school building which is "fit for the 21st century".
His final challenge as leader of CHS was the introduction of the "Curriculum for Excellence" - the biggest change in education for a generation.
Mr Young retired from teaching in 2015. You can read about this in the Clydebank Post by clicking here.
Remember to click the back button once you're finished, and you'll return to this page again.
1984-2000 - Mr C M O’Brien
Mr O'Brien joined CHS in 1984 and faced both problems and opportunities resulting from the continual change in education in the 1980s and '90s. Mr O'Brien also faced the transition for the exam systems, from "ordinary" grades to "standard" grades etc. He announced his retirement from the school just before the Christmas break in 1999 to take up a new position as a Councillor in Stirling.
1968-1984 - Mr J T Robertson
1968 saw the arrival of Mr Robertson as Rector of Clydebank High School. He oversaw major changes in the education system, most of all comprehensivisation. CHS became one of four comprehensives in the area. He also oversaw the building of the school extensions, most notably, the "tower block" as it is now known. Mr Robertson came to CHS with the reputation of an impresario. This reputation grew with plays like "Everybody out!" and "The Wizard of Awe". His shows ensured that all pupils were able to contribute whether they were musical or not. Another claim to fame was that he wrote "The Bash Street Kids", and this was the talk of the school during the seventies.
Mr Robertson died in 2007, his obituary can be found here.
1964-1968 - Mr W Manning
Mr William Manning was a long-serving member of the Clydebank High School staff. He took over the school as Rector in 1964, but his period as Rector was to be short lived, Mr Manning died in 1968.
1946-1964 - Dr T Davidson
Dr Davidson oversaw the transition from the Miller street building into the red brick building of CHS on Shelley Drive. He faced many problems, his school role in 1950 was 1300 pupils although building work was not complete! This was eased in 1958 with the opening of Braidfield High School. He retired in 1964.
1942-1946 - Mr M McLaren
Mr McLaren took over in 1942 in the middle of WW2, he had the problem of the Clydebank Blitz, where the old building on Kilbowie Road was destroyed and his Miller Street School was badly damaged. To make things worse, his new School on Shelley Drive had been hit by a parachute mine also. He retired in 1946.
1941-1942 - Mr A Paterson
Little is known about Mr Andrew Paterson, as he was Rector for just one year. Bobby McRitchie has told us that Mr Paterson became head of the English Department when the Janetta Street school opened in 1947 and was still there when Bobby left in 1950.
If you know about Mr Paterson, please contact us.
1921-1941 - Dr A C Paterson, JP, MA, BA(Lond.) PhD, FEIS.
Dr Andrew Cecil Paterson's contributions to the school vary. Firstly, he introduced the school colours of gold and chocolate. He was praised by inspectors for his pupil’s work. He saw his school take part in extra curricular activities, such as the girls' choir on BBC radio in 1931 and in the following year, the Football first XI won the Scottish Secondary Schools' shield at Hampden.
Dr Paterson's history at CHS
1900-1906 Master, Pupil Teachers' Central Classes
1906-1911 Master of Method, Junior Students
1906-1920 Principal Teacher of English and French
1911-1920 Second Master, Higher Grade School
1921-1941 Rector, The High School
Dr Paterson's book - "The educational history of Clydebank" is available at the research library in Clydebank and a copy is held at the University of Glasgow. You can read more information here.
1909-1920 - Mr F A Watson
Mr Watson took over a school which was in a "satisfactory" condition, except for overcrowding. This problem was about to get much worse. With the outbreak of WWI in 1914 Clydebank saw a sudden influx of workers for the war industries. The school role suddenly rose to 2800. The local Drill hall was used to accommodate the extra pupils. To worsen his problems, 14 of his staff went away with the forces! He suddenly died in December 1920, aged 46. His successor said he was "killed by overwork".
1873-1909 - Mr J Fulton
Mr John Fulton was rector of "Clydebank School", the direct predecessor of CHS today. He joined from Shaw Street Presbyterian School in Liverpool. The School log noted that he thought the Children were a little "backward"! Mr Fulton did many things for the school, which can not all be listed here. Finally, staff said he was a "slave-driver"!